If you use internet with your computer without having a proper protection, the virus and Trojans can infect your computer. Even, they can modify some system files. The most common trojans rewrite the system files or the registry file to disable some mandatory services of your computer. Suppose, your computer is infected by a virus and you want to remove that virus manually from your computer.You need to know which process are causing the problems. Task Manager is the best place to identify a suspicious program. But the virus programmers are much aware about this and they make their program such that it disables the Task Manager from the registry.
In such a case, when you try to open the task manager by pressing the Alt + Ctrl + Del key combination, a message appears like “Task Manger has been disabled by your administrator”. So your first object becomes enabling the Task manager so that you can identify the harmful services, running into your computer.
Least but not last that you can kill any suspicious process using the task manager. Here, I have described some easy and simple ways to re-enable the task manager in Windows.
Re-enable the Task Manager without using any soft pack
1. Re-enable the task manager from Registry
The task manager can be enabled by modifying the registry entry. In some cases, the registry access is also blocked by the virus. Then you must get the access of your registry to modify it. You can enable the access to the registry using the Disk Heal utility, which have mentioned later in this article. However, if you have the access to registry then follow the steps below:
- Press “Windows Key + R“, type “regedit” in the “Run” dialogue box
- Navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Policies > System
- Double click on “Disable TaskMgr” at the right pane
- Set the value to 0
- Restart the computer
2. Re-enable the Task Manager through Run Command
You can also re-enable the task manager from the Run command.
- Press Windows Key + R combination from your keyboard
- Copy this code and paste it in the “Run” dialogue box:
REG add HKCUSoftware/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d /0 /f
- Hit the Enter key
- Restart your computer.
3. You can also make a registry file to enable the Task Manager
If you’re not willing to edit the registry manually then you can make a registry file to enable the task manger.
- Open Notepad
- Copy the following codes exactly as it is in the following:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/System] “DisableTaskMgr” =dword:00000000
- Save the file name as “taskmgr.reg”.
Now, double-click on the registry file that you have created and restart your computer. The task manager should get enabled.
4. Re-enable the Task Manager through the Group Policy
- Press Windows Key + R, type “gpedit.msc” in the ‘Run’ dialogue box
- Navigate to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Ctrl+Alt+Del Options
- Double-click on the ‘Remove Task Manager’ and set it to ‘Disabled’ or ‘Not configured’.
Re-enable Task Manager Using Some Application Tools
1. Re-enable the task Manager by Disk Heal
Disk Heal is a small but useful software. Using the disk heal, you can fix many problems of your computer. To re-enable the task manager click on the ‘Fix’ tab and then the ‘Fix’ button at the right side of the option ‘Fix task manager inaccessibility’.
2. Download Task Manager Fix to re-enable the Task Manager
Download Task Manager Fix. After downloading, just run the application to re-enable the Task Manager. This application does not require any installation, just click on the ‘Fix Task Manager’ button to get the task manager reactivated.
3. Download VB script File to Reactivate the Task Manager
- Download the VB script file from Paulxp and run it
- You will get a security warning message. But don’t worry, click “Open” to proceed
- Now, a confirmation message will appear. Click on “Yes”
- You are done.
You can use any of the above processes to reactivate the task manager when disabled by malicious programs. If you still have any problem then you can install Windows XP from usb. Feel free to comment if you know any other method.